erikawastaken

ErikaWasTaken

Currently switching over from GR.

My GoodReads profile is:  http://www.goodreads.com/ErikaWasTaken.

Shine
Lauren Myracle
Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us

Heads in Beds: A Reckless Memoir of Hotels, Hustles, and So-Called Hospitality

Heads in Beds: A Reckless Memoir of Hotels, Hustles, and So-Called Hospitality - Jacob Tomsky Pros:* Great voice* Everything you've always wondered about during check in* Inside look at hotelsCons:* Everything you've always wondered about during check in* Moments of self doubt where you wonder if you were ever "that guest."I love these "behind the scenes" memoirs, like Kitchen Confidential and Waiter Rant. Tomsky has a wonderfully brash voice and a narrative style that makes you at once feel like an insider and an outside, but where both are good. As someone who used to travel for work, and would spend 6-8 weeks at a time in hotels, I felt like I really got to know the staff. But after reading this it's apparent I only knew the facade they put on for long-term guests. This book was a nice balance of titillating guest romps, horrible-customer sympathy shares, and employee profiles. In an age where service is dying out and every interaction is being replaced with computers, it's a nice reminder that hotel stays are made better by the people who work there.